It’s no surprise that some days, even weeks it’s challenging to come up with a game plan for your meals. Now throw in cooking and feeding for your picky kids and or a spouse. We know moms work long and hard days and the last thing on their mind is what to cook.
I remember always yelling at my mom asking “What’s for dinner?”, like it honestly mattered. I still had to eat that evening. Even to this day my mom is a great cook… but doesn’t enjoy it one bit.
So to save you the hassle here is a full proof, cheap, and easy dinner to make for yourself (lots of leftovers) or for your family.
- A pork roast (boneless) – you can find these at any supermarket (range from $8 – $20) depending on the size of your roast.
- BBQ Sauce – any type works. If you want more of a kick get something spicy and with a bold flavor.
- One white or yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A can of coke or cola (diet, or not)
- Pack of coleslaw for the topping
- Mayo or ranch for your sauce for the coleslaw
- Get your slow cooker out! Throw all your ingredients in and turn your slow cooker setting on low. You will need to cook it for about 8-10 hours minimum. Again this is an average – it may take longer depending on the size of your roast. For the last two hours you can bump it up to high to cut down on cook time.
- If you’re not home that’s fine – if you are, around hour 7, turn your roast to make sure the bottom isn’t becoming too charged. Watch for the colouring of your roast as well – if it’s a pale grey or brown colour your cooker may be sucking in too much air (which is broiling your roast).
- At hour 8/9 your roast should begin to flake apart.
- Once the time is up make sure to shred the rest of the pieces and make sure most if not all liquid has been absorbed. (Add cornstarch if it’s too watery).
- Let it cool and then serve. Top with coleslaw